
The Frisco Building is a sixteen-story Chicago School office building of dark brown brick and terra cotta at Ninth and Olive, organized as a grid of brick piers and recessed spandrels. Small terra-cotta rings mark the spandrels at each floor, and near the top the spandrels carry shields bearing the interlaced monogram F·S — for the St. Louis–San Francisco Railway. A heavy terra-cotta cornice is carried on paired lion-head console brackets set over carved wreaths. The ground floor is a rusticated terra-cotta base banded with Greek fret and studded with lion-head keystones, and the entrance entablature is incised FRISCO BUILDING.
The Frisco Building opened in 1903 at 906 Olive Street as the headquarters of the St. Louis–San Francisco Railway — the "Frisco" — designed by the St. Louis firm Eames & Young, which also designed its 1905–06 addition. Its restrained ornament and its expressed pier-and-spandrel wall were both notable in the development of the tall office building. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it now houses a bank and offices.





























































