Oriel Building
← Picture This STL
commercial·demolished

Oriel Building

1889 – 1961
Updated August 2026
About

A seven-story Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne commercial block at the southeast corner of Sixth and Locust Streets, richly ornamented in terra cotta, with an oriel bay-window tower that rose the full height of the corner and gave the building its name.

History

The Oriel Building was designed and co-developed in 1889 by Jerome Bibb Legg, who held a 99-year ground lease on the site and partnered with Colonel John O'Day. By the turn of the century it was among downtown's more successful office buildings; ground-floor tenants in the early 1930s included the Lincoln Exchange, D.C. Kelly's Cut Rate Shoes, United Cigar Stores, and Kennedy's furriers. It was later demolished, and the southeast corner of Sixth and Locust is now occupied by non-historic construction.

Last stood at
SE Corner 6th and Locust
Location
Historical Images · 2
Oriel Building, Sixth and Locust Streets
Oriel Building, Sixth and Locust Streets
1931-12
Missouri History Museum
Oriel Building Being Wrecked on the Southeast Corner of Locust and 6th - 13 April 1961
Oriel Building Being Wrecked on the Southeast Corner of Locust and 6th - 13 April 1961
1961-04-13
Missouri History Museum
Further Reading
Jerome Bibb Legg (1838-1915)
Landmarks Association of St. Louis · website