
Lincoln School was a three-story brick schoolhouse of the standard Italianate type built for the St. Louis Board of Public Schools. Stone quoins marked the corners, and a dentillated cornice ran beneath a pedimented central gable. Round-arched window openings on the upper two floors carried contrasting stone voussoirs, while the ground floor used flat-arched openings above a stone watertable. A projecting round-arched entrance framed in banded stone bore the school's name across the archivolt. The building sat on a 150-by-120-foot corner lot facing Eugenia Street.
The St. Louis Board of Public Schools built Lincoln School in 1867 at Eugenia and High streets, a corner later renumbered as 23rd and Eugenia. Board annual reports price the building at $44,000: three stories, twelve rooms, a 150-by-120-foot lot, and seating for 700 pupils — the same scale as the Board's Stoddard School, built the same year. A branch addition went up in 1878, per the Board's own building tables. No architect is on record for the building; the Board did not create an Architect/Commissioner of School Buildings position until about 1872, several years after Lincoln was built, leaving it unattributed along with 1860s contemporaries such as Stoddard, Clinton, and Lyon. Photographer Emil Boehl captured the school in 1876 for the Missouri Education Exhibit assembled for the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. By the mid-twentieth century the building stood boarded up with broken windows, as shown in photographs from the 1940s and 1950s. Lincoln School was demolished in the early 1950s as part of the Mill Creek Valley clearance.


