Tenth District Police Station
← Picture This STL
police station·standing

Tenth District Police Station

1936
Updated July 2026
About

A single-story building of buff, iron-spotted brick banded with dark brown headers and trimmed in cream stone coping. The street front is symmetrical: a raised central entrance pavilion steps up into a stepped Art Deco parapet, where corbelled and projecting brick works a stylized geometric panel above the doorway. Flanking wings carry ranks of steel-sash windows beneath a flat, stone-capped roofline. The ornament is entirely masonry — sawtooth courses, projecting soldier bricks, and dark accent brick studding the piers and the deep entrance canopy. A side elevation holds a service bay with an overhead door.

History

The City of St. Louis built the Tenth District Police Station in 1936 at 4548 Easton Avenue, the street later renamed Martin Luther King Drive. City Architect Albert A. Osburg designed it as one of a series of matching Art Deco district stations he produced for the police department in the 1930s; the Landmarks Association of St. Louis counts six, of which five have been identified. The building later served as the Eighth District headquarters. In 1990 the city closed its district stations and consolidated police operations, ending the department's use of the building. By 2011 it housed the Human Development Corporation's Northside Center, and it has since been subdivided for commercial and childcare tenants.

Address
4548 Martin Luther King Dr, St. Louis, MO 63113
Location
Photographs · 24
Further Reading
Built St. Louis — Albert Osburg's Art Deco Police Stations
Saint Louis Patina — "Another Art-Deco Police Station"