
A two-story red brick firehouse whose Manchester Avenue front rises to a curved, stone-capped parapet. Three light-stone medallions ornament the upper wall — a four-lobed rosette flanked by two circular pinwheel discs. Below them a broad tripartite window sits in a molded stone surround, and a painted red blackletter sign reading "Engine House No. 6" spans the wall above a single arched engine bay framed in buff brick with stone quoins. Paired red siamese connections project beneath the window, and stone quoins accent the front corners. The long brick side elevation carries segmental-arched openings, many now infilled, beneath a corbelled cornice and tile-capped roofline.
Engine House No. 6 was completed in 1904 to house Engine Company 42, which had been stationed at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, the 1904 World's Fair. After the fair closed, Engine 42 moved into the new Manchester Avenue building on January 22, 1905, and operated from it for the next seven decades. In 1975 Engine Company 42 was disbanded and reorganized as Engine Company 6, giving the building its present name. The "No. 6" designation had previously belonged to a different firehouse at 12 North 9th Street, which opened in 1902 and closed in 1965.









